Friday, March 20, 2015

Pottery. Wine. Walking. Nelson NZ



If I haven't already enticed by blog readers to visit New Zealand then today's post should do it. 

Our day started our with a gourmet breakfast at our inn. Starting with fresh fruit and berries with homemade granola followed by eggs cooked with herbs she grows here.  And I have drunk so many pots of English breakfast tea this trip it is amazing. 

Here is a picture of where we are staying. 


Our adventures started with going to a master potter. Really wanted one of his bigger pieces but settled on a small one that would fit in my suitcase. Quite a big production pottery studio. They offered us a tour once I said I dabbled in pottery. Royce mcglashen pottery. They allowed me to take pictures



Our next stop was on a wharf to buy some smoked salmon and rolls at a bakery. 



Then onto a winery that allows you to picnic if you buy a glass of wine. We sampled a few ones, chose one to buy and picniced in a lovely setting. 



We proceeded onto some more potters. Katie gold made some fascinating pieces. All too large for us and not quite something I'd buy 


Her husband had functional pieces but nothing unique enough to bring home.  We then saw Anna Bartlett pottery. Very unique decorating on her wares. We just bought a small kiwi. 

Then it was time for more wine. We went to a super small winery where only 3 people could be inside at a time to taste with room on the deck for a few more.  Loads of fun 


Next we went to rabbit island for a walk on the beach. I understand the beach is 10km long. 




After returning to the inn We rested for a bit. Drank some more wine and then I decided I needed another walk before supper. Up the hill we went. Further up than expected. To the center of New Zealand. I was wrong yesterday. This is the north south center. Not the east west one. Gorgeous views from up top. 




We finished off the day with another wonderful meal at a top restaurant. I had red snapper. So delicious. Dana gphad venison. They raise red deer here in fairly large herds 

We are now sitting in the inn having decaf coffee. What a wonderful day. 















No comments:

Post a Comment